For this blog, anyway.
My buddy Vincent Jorgersen tagged me for “The Next Big Thing” blog meme, wherein I blather about what I’m working on and I tag a few folks to do the same. I met Vince at the Wellspring Writer’s Workshop a few years ago, and when he asked me to do this I jumped at the chance. Without further ado, here’s my Next Big Thing.
This May Go On Your Permanent Record.
2. Where did the idea come from for the book?
3. What genre does your book fall under?
Contemporary Young Adult. I really want to throw “fantasy” in there, too, but I have to admit that might be a stretch.
4. Which actors would you choose to play your characters in a movie rendition?
I have no idea, probably because while I have pictures of my characters in my head, I don’t clip out pictures for inspiration. Unknown actors, most likely. Someone like Jennifer Lawrence after she did Winter’s Heart.
5. What is a one-sentence synopsis of the book?
A girl who can’t lie gets sentenced to a school for world domination.
6. Will your book be self-published or represented by an agency?
Represented by an agency, fingers crossed.
7. How long did it take you to write the first draft of the manuscript?
Four-and-a-half months, which is a land-speed record for me.
8. What other books would you compare this story to in your genre?
The closest would be I’d Tell You That I Love You But Then I’d Have to Kill You by Ali Larter. Sort of.
9. Who or what inspired you to write this book?
My coworker who gave me the original idea and the folks who read the short story and said, “hey, this should be a novel.”
10. What else about your book might pique the reader’s interest?
Sally is a freshman in high school dealing with a drunk mother, a mysterious benefactor, and an arch nemesis. Not to mention a crush on a cute boy in her class. She’s got a lot on her plate.
Include the link of who tagged you and an explanation for the people you have tagged.